Sixty six million years ago, an asteroid hit Earth and the dinosaurs began dying off–more and more as dust and dirt from the explosion choked off the sun and cut oxygen from the atmosphere, as we can assume. And finally the last of the dinosaurs breathed their last desperate breath and became extinct, no longer a threat to the mammals who tried to avoid them for years and years. And so it is with Trump Republicans shortly after this last midterm election. Republicans and Trump himself are gasping for that last breath of air, a result of another misinformed polls that predicted a Red Wave would descend upon the planet–a democracy destroying Red Wave that would anoint Trump the ultimate authority and Putonian ruler.
Didn’t happen. In fact the numbers are similar to before the election except that Democrats outperformed the poll predictions and the right wing loudmouth roosters. And this left wing loudmouth, namely me, seemed to, in fact, make a difference. Dems did indeed get off their duffs and pull that Dem lever or mail in ballot, at least for the most part. True, the war is far from over, but a major battle has been effectively won. And I bow deeply to my readers who read my rants and found some semblance of worth in them.
The Democrats defied the polls and retained control of the Senate. They are narrowly losing the House, essentially crippling Republican intentions there, such as defunding Ukraine and impeaching Joe Biden and reversing Biden successes. So how and why did this happen. Here’s how I see it.
*Americans relate to Ukraine and their fight against Putin’s Russia. Republicans threatened to defund our military support for Ukraine, and deeply resented this.
* Americans again voted against Donald Trump, putting a exclamation point on wanting to see this evil, self serving individual gone, and gone for good. They voted against many of Trump’s ridiculous endorsees, sending a clear message to Trump: Leave and don’t come back!
* Americans are more wanting to protect a woman’s right to choose, than approve a national ban on abortion.
* America rejected anti-democratic, MAGA, and extremist conspiracy theories and white nationalists.
* January 6th was a watershed event in American history. Americans resented Republicans tried to whitewash this event, calling rioters and insurrectionist patriots, vilifying Capitol and DC police officers who bravely defended our Capitol and our elected representatives.
* Americans resented and reviled the attack on Nancy Pelosi’s husband.
* Americans are sick of death threats coming from MAGA thugs and the fact the Trump has never cautioned or repudiated these cowardly attacks on anyone who didn’t support in lockstep.
* Americans understood that inflation had nothing to do with Joe Biden or Democrats and began to see evidence that inflation was decreasing.
* Americans believe in democracy and the original intent of our Founding Fathers.
* Young people rose to the occasion and voted for more Democrats than MAGA Republicans.
* Americans are angered by the manipulation of our Supreme Court by Mitch McConnell, Donald Trump, and the lockstep GOP caucus in the Senate. Trump left his toxic stamp on our country through his extremist right wing choices which McConnell rammed through via deception and fraud. This, along with his equally toxic appointments of federal judges throughout the country, has set our country back decades.
* Americans are alarmed that Trump, a criminal waiting to be prosecuted, is still wielding political power like a mafia kingpin, and, though obviously unfit for any elected position, is on the verge of running again in 2024.
* Republicans have no platform, other than opposing everything Democrats propose. Americans finally acknowledge the GOP as the party of NO, and like the Wizard of Oz, there’s no there there.
* Americans are sick and tired of the likes of Joe Manchin and Kirsten Sinema and want to see them move to the backbenches of the Senate. Consequently, from my perch, it looks good for a 51-49 Democratic Senate.
* Americans are against election deniers, including Secretary of State candidates who supported the Stop the Steal movement pushed by Trump like a heroin dealer.
* Americans are against the proven Russian campaign of disinformation in relation to our elections, a campaign that Trump obviously knew about and conspired with.
* Americans are sick and tired of the disingenuous culture wars Republicans rely upon to garner votes.
* Americans are opposed to Republican racial dogwhistles led by the leader of the party,
* Americans are quite aware of the legal cases against Trump and have discounted his primary challenges which have led to flawed candidates on the Republican ticket in the recently conducted general midterm election.
* Americans know from experience that our elections are fair and square and Republican and right-wing radical media rants of fraud are outright lies and misrepresentations.
Like the flight of a golf ball, the outcome of the vote tells all. With golf, a slice or big hook and you know something’s wrong with the swing and needs correcting. The GOP and their dear leader Trump have come to a toxic crossroads. This election strongly indicates the road they have taken is headed for Hell. Unfortunately, from my perspective, with Trump as their continued cult leader, they have neither the brains, heart, or soul to make the needed directional corrections on their journey to perdition.
CheChe Luckini says
I applaud your succinct writing and informed conclusions! You are a breath of fresh fresh air!